Thursday 28 July 2011

Sweet potato pudding? Don't mind if I do


Today is Mama and Papa Case's 27th wedding anniversary. Chris (the boyfriend) and I made them a three course meal last night to celebrate. The menu looked a little something like this:

Starter
Sweetcorn and Potato Fritters
with an onion and tomato relish

Main
Caribbean Beef Pepper Pot Stew (minus the beef for moi)
with rice and pea

Dessert
Sweet Potato Pudding
with vanilla ice cream

The meal went down a treat and if I do say so myself was delicious! (and this is from a girl that rarely cooks anything) I thought it was my duty to share this recipe with you because it's soooo yummy. Courtesy of me (with a little help from Mr. Levi Roots) I give you:

SWEET POTATO PUDDING!

Serves 10 - 12

100g raisins
Juice of 1 orange
1tbsp rum (I ignored this and put 4 even, I would even stretch to 5)
100g butter melted, plus extra for greasing the tin
1kg sweet potato, grated
200g soft brown sugar
200g plain flour
3tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp grated nutmeg
1tsp salt
3tsp vanilla extract
200ml coconut milk
2 large eggs
Single cream to serve (we used ice cream because the hot and cold are really nice together)

Preheat the oven to 180C/350C Fan/Gas 4. Put the raisins in a small saucepan with the orange juice and rum. Bring to the boil, turn off the heat and leave to soak for 10 minutes or while you prepare the other ingredients.

Grease a 26cm spring form cake tin with a little butter. Put the sweet potato in a big mixing bowl with the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix well with your hands so the potato is coated in sugar and spices. In another, smaller bowl, mix together the vanilla extract, coconut milk, melted butter and eggs, then add in the raisins and any of their liquid. Stir this into the sweet potato mixture.

Pour the batter into the cake tin and cook in the hot oven for 1¼–1½ hours, or until firm. This is a pudding rather than a cake and is meant to be moist inside. Eat hot, warm or cold – and serve with cream.


Enjoy! Let me know how yours turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment